BAY OFFICE : 02920 489 000
CATHAYS OFFICE: 02920 388 399



What’s the difference between a Managed and Let Only property?

A managed property is when Keylet looks after the property on the landlord’s behalf. Keylet becomes your main point of contact and you would be required to pay your rent, report maintenance and address all other queries with Keylet directly. This usually means you would have little or no contact with your landlord. This means we are able to sign the tenancy agreement, instruct maintenance (within reason) and deal with any queries you may have. On the other hand a Let Only property, is when Keylet is instructed to let the property. We often sign the contracts, take the first payment and issue your keys. From this point onwards, any you pay rent, report maintenance and any other details to the landlord directly. We give you their details at the contract signing so you can introduce yourselves.

Managed and Let Only tenancy agreements are different, please refer below for relevant terms and conditions.




Do I need to be referenced and why?

Yes, all of our tenants must be referenced, this includes employment, previous landlord and basic credit checks. This process can take up to seven working days, if for any reason the references are not acceptable we will discuss various options with you.

What’s an agency fee and why do I have to pay one?

An agency fee secures the property for you and takes it off the market, meaning the property is provisionally yours. The agency fee will vary depending on the amount of rent. Our standard charge is ¼ months’ rent plus VAT. The agency fee will cover the cost of setting up the tenancy and administration work such as creating the tenancy agreement etc.


I’ve paid my agency fee, but now I’ve changed my mind, what are my options?

Unfortunately the agency fee is non-refundable and if the tenancy is withdrawn we cannot accept any liability for any costs or inconvenience suffered by the applicant. In some extenuating circumstances we may be able to transfer the fee to another property, you would need to speak to the General Manager for a final decision.

When do I need to pay my first month’s rent and bond?

Once you have chosen your property and paid the agency fee, we will ask you to complete your reference forms, in order to proceed with the let. It is within 14 days of the receipt of payment being signed that you will need to come in and sign the tenancy agreement (subject to referencing). Depending on when you are due to move in to the property, you can either pay the rent and bond at the contract signing or on the day you collect your keys.

Do the properties come with bills included?

Our properties do not come with bills included, you will be liable to pay for electricity, gas, TV license, water and council tax. If you are a full time student you are exempt and if you are a single occupant you receive 25% discount from council tax. Some of our apartments that are block managed, often have water rates included in the service charges, which are payable by the landlord and therefore you will find water rates are included in the rent for these types of apartments. Our lettings team will be able to clarify this on your viewing.

Will I need a guarantor?

Providing that your references come back as successful you would not require a guarantor. If for any reason the references are not acceptable we will discuss various options with you. All student lets via our Cathays branch require a guarantor.


How much is a bond and why do I have to pay one?

The amount of bond requested can vary between properties/landlords. As standard the amount of bond requested is usually one full month’s rent plus £150.00. This sum of money, is a security deposit held against the property in case the property needs to be returned to its original condition. The bond covers any remedial maintenance work, cleaning and arrears on the property.

What are my legal obligations as a tenant?

Your responsibilities are listed in your Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement, our standard agreement are available to read here;



We have also helped clarify what is classed as tenant or landlord maintenance responsibilities here



It is important to note that tenants are responsible for reporting maintenance issues in a timely manner so that the landlord can deal with any issues before they get worse.

What the legal obligations of my landlord?

Your landlord’s responsibilities are also listed in the Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement and its worth taking a look at this page for your landlords responsibilities.


A landlord will always need to ensure that the property is fit to live in, this includes, adequate heating, hot water, sewerage, gas and electrical checks and lighting.

What’s an inventory and why do I need one?

An inventory is a document that lists the current condition of the fixtures and fittings of the property. Our fully trained staff ensure this document is up to date before you move in. Once you have signed the tenancy agreement, we will also ask you to sign a copy of the inventory, we then give you the exact same copy to take away with you and you get 7 days to make any amendments and return this to us. We then accept this as your inventory and will be the one we use to complete your check out inspection. We may require to come out to the property to check your amendments and if we do so we will let you know. If you feel the inventory we have given you is an accurate account of the condition of the property, there is no need to take any further action, we will then use the copy you signed in the office at your check out inspection. This is an important document as it will help us agree on the property being left in an appropriate condition.

What is a break clause?

A break clause is a provision in a lease which enables either the landlord or the tenant, or both, to end the contract early. The break clause is a document signed alongside the tenancy agreement, most commonly break clauses are agreed at month 6 of a 12 month contract. The tenant is able to provide one full months’ notice in writing in order to vacate the following month. However if no notice is given, the contract automatically continues until the end of the 12 month tenancy.

What happens if I want to leave during my tenancy?

If you don’t have a break clause agreed or you have missed the opportunity to use the break clause there are other options. Firstly, if you are in a joint tenancy, you could find a replacement tenant to take over your tenancy, they would need to be referenced and sign on to your contract, effectively releasing you from the tenancy. They would need to accept the property in its current condition. Alternatively, if you are a sole tenant, you can pay a release fee of ¼ months’ rent plus VAT, this would put the property back on the market, we remarket the property, conduct the viewings and secure a new tenant as part of the release fee paid.

What should I do if I have a maintenance issue?

If you are a Let Only property you will need to contact your landlord direct. If you are a managed property we have an online system available 24/7 that can log any maintenance required. You will be given your unique log in details when you move in, and when you need us, visit www.keylet.co.uk/maintenance and click the maintenance box on the right hand side. For emergencies in working hours, we recommend you contact our offices directly so we can sort any issues as soon as possible and to avoid further damage. For out of hours emergencies, call our offices and you will be put through to the relevant contractor.

What should I do if I can’t pay my rent?

You should let Keylet know as soon as possible should you not be in a position to pay your rent. You are under contract to ensure that the rent is paid on the agreed day at the agreed sum, and if you fall behind you are in breach of your contract. As per the terms and conditions of your tenancy agreement, administration charges will be added to your account accordingly, and in the event of arrears, we may contact your guarantor (where applicable) so they can cover the rent on your behalf.

What is deposit protection?

There is government legislation in place that protects your security deposit, meaning that the money has to be registered with a third party scheme and is protected during the duration of your tenancy. For all our managed properties, we register bonds with The Dispute Service  if you have taken a Let Only property your landlord is mostly likely to go with Deposit Protection Service  or My Deposits.




How do I get my deposit back?

After you have vacated the tenancy and providing there is no deductions, you must provide copies of all your final bills confirming the accounts are at a zero balance and have been closed down. Once these have been provided it is on this basis we can return your bond to you, this can either be by cheque or bank transfer.